Mesothelioma Treatment Centers
Choosing a mesothelioma cancer center can be a challenging task. When making this decision, remember that you do have the right to choose where you are treated. You should consider the pros and cons of local care versus specialized care, and evaluate your treatment choices. A second opinion from a physician about the most appropriate mesothelioma treatment for you may also help you feel comfortable about making an informed decision.
For many mesothelioma patients, there are several steps involved in this decision making process. First, you must decide whether you want to be treated at a cancer center that offers traditional treatments, non-traditional treatments and new treatments (such as mesothelioma clinical trials), or both. Some cancer centers specialize in treating malignant mesothelioma, while others treat a variety of forms of cancer, so a decision has to be made about the type of facility where you want to be treated. Third, and perhaps most importantly, you need to find a facility you feel comfortable with and a medical team you trust with your care.
Questions to Consider
If you decide on a specialized care option, you may have to travel to a major cancer center with a multidisciplinary team of mesothelioma doctors (surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists) who treat mesothelioma patients on a regular basis. When evaluating a mesothelioma treatment center consider the following questions:
- Is the mesothelioma cancer center designated by the National Cancer Institute as one of their premier facilities?
- Has the facility been approved by a nationally recognized organization, such as the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and/or the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO)?
- Has the facility been rated by state or consumer groups on its quality of care?
- Does the facility have a medical staff that is familiar with the treatment of mesothelioma?
- Has the facility been successful in treating mesothelioma?
- Does the facility offer a variety of mesothelioma treatment options?
- Is medical care at the facility covered under your insurance plan?
- If not, does the facility offer assistance in helping you obtain financial aid?
- Will the medical staff be able to coordinate your care with your local health care team?
- Does the facility fully explain The Patient's Bill of Rights and are copies of this information available?
- Are questions and concerns addressed in a respectful, friendly manner by the staff?
- Is the facility conveniently located?
Making an Educated Decision
The quality of treatment and care that mesothelioma patients receive is of the utmost importance. Don't hesitate to ask a potential facility detailed, in depth questions during your search for a mesothelioma cancer center. A good facility will be happy to answer all of your questions and provide you with any information you need about their services.